My first picture book tells the story of one little owl’s struggle to find peace. Using as few words as possible, Mopoke asks the parent or reader to bring their own personal interpretation and expression to the book reading. The relative sparsity of words and pictures encourages the reader to increase intonation, experiment with volume, play with pauses, and all of those good things that ultimately enhance the parent-child book-reading experience.
The book is grounded in themes of impermanence, respect and consequence. If there is a takeaway (dig deep…!), I hope Mopoke reminds children – and their parents – that you can’t always get what you want. Mopoke was my first picture book, and I sincerely hope that it brings heaps of fun to you and yours.
Mopoke is published in Australia by Scholastic Australia, in China by Shanghai Insight Media, in the UK by Scholastic UK, and in Japan by BL Publishing.
Awards & stuff.
- Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA): Picture Book of the Year 2018 (Honour Book)
- Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA) Crichton Award for New Illustrators 2018 (finalist)
- KOALA Awards 2019 (Honour Award)
- Kate Greenaway Medal 2018 (longlisted)
- White Raven Book 2018
- Indie Book Awards 2018 (longlisted)
- Australian Book Design Awards: Best Designed Children’s Illustrated Book 2018 (longlisted)
- Australian Book Industry Awards: Picture Book of the Year 2018 (longlisted)
- The Guardian’s Best Children’s Books 2017 (finalist)
- REAL Awards (YABBAs, KOALAs, and KROCs) 2023 (shortlisted)